ConCuerpos is the pioneering inclusive dance company from Colombia
Since 2007 we develop artistic, educational and research projects. Our aim is to offer inclusive and accesible dance opportunities for people with and without disabilities.
We celebrate diversity, we love to create from different abilities and we trust the encounter as a way to build a stronger society.
Artistic - Company
ConCuerpos is the pioneering contemporary dance company in Colombia, which includes diverse dancers -with and without disabilities- in its creative work. His political commitment is to break down barriers of participation, transform static notions about dance, and contribute with new ethics and aesthetics to the socio-cultural context. ConCuerpos artistic proposal puts singularity first and values differences. At the same time, we seek to open new creative horizons with each work, proposing innovative and high-quality productions. Since 2009 ConCuerpos has created professional level dances, both with national and international guest choreographers, as well as from the group’s own exploration. Currently, we have our fourth cast of dancers with whom we develop collective creation methods, and a research on a training program, for professional dancers in the inclusive context.
In the educational area, ConCuerpos creates opportunities for accesible dance training, that allow people with and without disabilities to explore their bodies, expand their movement potential, and establish creative relationships. We offer a permanent Class in Bogotá, an annual Training Workshop for Trainers, a specific training program for the company’s dancers and, we hold special workshops. All these activities have been carried out, since 2015, under the Dance for Diversity project.
The special workshops are the result of alliances with organisations in the field of dance and inclusion, adapting the contents to the specific needs of each group.
In the academic field, ConCuerpos has always carried out a documentation of all its activities. This follow-up nurtures the research projects we develop on inclusive dance. We contribute written reflections to the discussion of the body, disability, inclusion and dance. ConCuerpos has published several articles, and the books “Cuerpos Potentes” and “Incluyendo al Cuerpo”. Likewise, we have contributed to several undergraduate and graduate thesis both in Colombia and internationally.
Management and Production
Dancer, LSC Interpreter and Class Coordinator
Luis David Cáceres
Lighting and art desing
René Alejandro Moreno
Research & support - former dancer
Founder members: Paulina Avellaneda, Carolina Caballero and Laisvie Andrea Ochoa.
Previous dancers – extended family:
Michel Tarazona, Maria José Rodriguez, Felipe León, Veronica Toro, Paula Andrea Ocampo, Mónica Jaramillo, Alejandro Penagos, Margarita Gómez, Catherine Busk, Stephanie Lievano, Jhon Jairo Vanegas, Rachel Paul, Ronald Solano, Aldona Beltrán, Luisa Martínez.
The history of the organisation
The project was born in 2007 thanks to the initiative of Meghan Flanigan and Laisvie Andrea Ochoa to introduce integrated / inclusive dance in Colombia. In April of that year, with the support of the British Council, CIREC and Espacio Ambimental, experts Charlotte Darbyshire and Welly O’Brien from the United Kingdom were invited to offer the first integrated contemporary dance workshop in the country. Thanks to the success of this first project, ConCuerpos was born, with the initial support of the British Council.
In 2009, Laisvie Andrea Ochoa, Paulina Avellaneda and Carolina Caballero formalised the Organisation with its three areas: educational, artistic and research. That same year the company was born and since 2010 the Permanent Class has been established in Bogota. In 2013, the Teacher Training Workshop began to be offered annually.
Since 2012, Laisvie Andrea has been the director of ConCuerpos, always with the support of the members of the company. Since 2018 Diana Leon became the Artistic Director working closely with Laisvie as a power duo.
Prices and Awards
- 2020 & 2017. Winner of the Concertation Program from District Institute of the Arts of Bogota (IDARTES). Dance for Diversity project.
- 2020, 2017, 2016 & 2015. Winner of the National Cultural Concertation Program from the Ministry of Culture of Colombia. Dance for Diversity project.
- 2019. City of Bogota Creation Grant. Awarded by IDARTES, Stimuli Portfolio. To create the dance “2/3 y Un Baño”
- 2018. Diverse Bogota Grant for Social Sectors. Awarded by IDARTES, Stimuli Portfolio. Dance for Diversity project.
- 2018. Grant for the circulation. Ministry of Culture of Colombia. Dance “Nada es Fijo”
- 2017. Body and Memory of Dance – Research Grant. Ministry of Culture of Colombia. Potent Bodies book.
- 2016. International Circulation Grant for Dance Companies. Ministry of Culture of Colombia. Dance “Nada es Fijo” to participate in the Gathered Together Festival in Scotland.
- 2016. Grant for the Support of Artistic Projects of Non-Profit Entities. IDARTES. Dance for Diversity Project.
- 2015. Research-Creation Grant for Choreographers, Groups and Dance Companies. Ministry of Culture of Colombia. To create the dance “Nada es fijo” by the guest choreographer Victoria Marks (USA).
- 2014. Fulbright Specialist Scholarship. Fulbright Colombian Commission. Artistic residency of Victoria Marks (USA).
- 2014. Residence at La Factoría LÉxplose. To create the dance “Singular”
- 2102 Award for Cultural and Artistic Organisations for Population with Disabilities. Ministry of Culture of Colombia.
- 2007-2009. Priority project of the British Council Colombia “Dance for Inclusion”. Artistic residencies with guest choreographers Charlotte Darbyshire, Well O’Brien and Sarah Storer.